Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- Responsible for inspection of laboratory radioactive materials, involving appropriate controls, pickup, disposal and documentation. Reviews new applications for proposed usage of radioactive material.
- Participates in the conduct and documentation of radiation safety surveys and compliance audits and initiatives.
- Calibrates instruments and radiation measuring devices, and maintains the personal badge monitoring system. Performs shielding surveys for new installations. Issues and exchanges fetal dosimeters for pregnant employees.
- Maintains 24-hour on-call availability for emergency patient cases and provides coverage on-site (Nuclear Medicine thyroid procedures) or at outside locations, as required.
- Assists in record keeping and reviews of clinical and research records for the PET Isotope Laboratory.
- Performs an active role in professional and technical training. Develops and presents radiation safety training programs for employees throughout the Medical Center.
- Participates in ongoing development and revision of the Radiation Safety Office Quality Assurance and Procedure Manual.
- Participates in the development of the Radiation Safety Office website and management software, ensuring compliance within current regulations and guidelines.
- Investigates and analyzes incidents and badge exposures, including documentation of appropriate corrective action recommendations.
- Assists Radiation Safety Office technical support staff.
- Represents the department in the Institutional Animal Care Committee (IACUC). Reviews animal protocols which include irradiation and/or use of isotopes to ensure proper radiation safety precautions are being observed.
- Other technical and administrative responsibilities as assigned by the Director of the Radiation Safety Office.
- MS, with emphasis on Health Physics and radiation safety. Ph.D preferred
- One year of related experience in radiation safety in a health care setting
- Certification by the ABHP, ABR or ABMP highly desirable.