Mount Sinai Careers
Nurse Epidemiologist (Infection Control) - Mount Sinai St. Luke's
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- Demonstrates those behaviors which reflect the scientific knowledge, judgment, and technical skills of professional nursing within their area of expertise
- Makes daily rounds and follows up on all cases of suspected or diagnosed communicable diseases
- Acts as a resource person regarding hospital Infection Control policy and the disposition of patients
- Maintains surveillance program for clean wound infection rates.
- Surveys the incidence and prevalence of infection on selected services following hospitalization
- Participates in in-service education of hospital personnel in matters pertaining to infection control
- Performs environmental surveillance of various departments of the hospital and prepares summary reports for review
- Assists in the development of antibiotic review
- Reviews microbiology programs for surveillance purposes
- Participates in the evaluation of nursing and medical procedures and products applicable to infection control
- Collaborates with personnel to assure compliance with the Board of Health Rules and Hospital Policies regarding prevention and control of infection
- Maintains professional competence through participation in continuing education and other relevant learning experiences
- Provides patient teaching and counseling
- Maintains a liaison with the Health Department, Bureau of tuberculosis and Bureau of Sexually Transmitted Disease CDC
- Works with Employee Health Service in maintaining a safe environment for patients and personnel
- Communicates pertinent information regarding matters of infection control to Hospital Administration
- Maintains liaison with other infection control practitioners by attending monthly meetings of the Association of Hospital Infection Control Practitioners
BSN required, Master’s degree preferred.
At least 3 to 5 years of clinical experience in professional nursing.
NYS RN License
Board Certified in Infection Prevention and Control (CIC) preferred