Mount Sinai Careers
Unit Support Associate
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- Admitting Responsibilities such as obtaining and confirming, necessary signatures on required forms, assembles medical records and obtains old medical records, secures patient valuable, notifies MD, nurses and other staff of information as indicated, obtains ID band and places on patient, and obtains & verifies face sheet data
- Conducts tests, treatments, procedures such as transcribing physician orders, orders special equipment, schedules intra-hospital tests, procedures, appropriate transportation and equipment needed for transportation, and assists with transportation as required (Cardiac Catheterization Lab Only)
- Orders and maintains appropriate clerical stock and supplies
- Responsible for pneumatic tube stations, receiving & sending specimens, medications, etc., and keeping tubes stocked
- Acts as a receptionist
- Meets/greets patient/family/visitor in pleasant manner
- Orients patient/family to floor/hospital
- Answers telephones/intercoms
- Follow-up on general needs of patient and family
- Coordinates patient admissions, discharges and transfers with all team members
- Maintains computer systems in patient care areas
- Sorts reports/notices/orders
- Communicates discharges and transfers with support service departments
- Schedules post discharge appointments and transportation (i.e., PACC, private offices & diagnostic tests)
- Notification of bed holds for nursing home patients
- Prepares birth/death certificates with demographic information
- Coordinates notary public assistance for patients
- Maintains notation of patient’s location on and off the floor
- Reviews OR and test schedules, changes for patients & communicates with appropriate caregiver
- Communicates with MD/RN regarding emergency situations/STAT lab reports
- Appropriately utilizes supplies and equipment in a cost effective manner
- Records and maintains minutes of unit meetings & other care/service area data
- Sends and receives faxes
- Ability to read and write English at 10th grade level. Ability to perform math at 9th grade level.
- Effective interpersonal skills (communication, customer service, telephone skills).
- Effective organizational and problem solving skills.
- Typing skills at 35 wpm.
- Basic computer and fax skills.