Mount Sinai Careers
Ophthalmic Technician - Downtown - 34th Street
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Dept- Downtown 34th Street Practice REQ #78604
Job Title: Ophthalmic Technician
Assists an Eye Center Physician and other technical support personnel to perform diagnostics tests necessary for evaluation of patient eye problem.
- Performs preliminary screening examinations for physician review including, but not limited to, central and peripheral visual field tests; ocular motility tests; color vision tests; pharmacological pupil tests; tonometry, tonography and tensilon tonography tests to determine intraocular pressure and pupil testing for size, equality and reaction prior to dilation.
- Directs the flow of patients examined by an Eye Center physician; obtains medical and personal data for patient charts; screens patients for conditions excluding ocular examination; arranges for laboratory and other tests, ophthalmic photography, outpatient studies and patient admissions and surgery as requested by physician; alleviates patient and family concerns by explaining diagnostic procedures and method of treatment.
- Calibrates and maintains all instruments used including, but not limited to bio-microscopes, lensometer, keratometer, tangent screen, slit lamp and tonometers; cleans and stocks consultation rooms and microbiology laboratory with drugs and other supplies as needed.
- Sterilizes and sets up instruments for ophthalmic surgical procedures; assists with minor office surgery, laser treatments and operating room surgery as required.
- Perms authorizations for testing and medications as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum one year as a Medical Office Assistant or equivalent
- Ophthalmic Technician Certification required