Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department of Social Work and Clinical Services (MSBI) - Req Number: 78624
Job Title: Social Work
Roles & Responsibilities:
Assesses patients for mental health needs and provides counseling as appropriate, including groups. Determines need for referrals to outside agencies. Interacts with all levels of clinic staff, assesses needs of staff and patients and secures resources to meet psychosocial needs of patients. Is cognizant of the philosophy, standards, objectives and policies of the Department and Medical Center.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform clinical/technical/service/administrative tasks:
- Maintains caseload of patients with co-occurring mental health disorders, in accordance with standards set by Department of Behavioral Health at MSBI.
- Provides individual counseling to patients with co-occurring mental health issues.
- Assists and participates in the development and conducting of clinical groups.
- Conducts mental health assessments on all patients.
- Formulates time limited goals to meet the needs of patients and anticipated treatment in collaboration with the care team.
- Assesses suicidal/homicidal patients, recommends appropriate interventions and makes referrals.
- Provides psychosocial assessments and crisis intervention, as required.
- Conducts case finding and monitors all identified cases of suspected child abuse/neglect, pregnant and post-partum patients,
in conjunction with the Coordinator of Children and Family Service.
- Conducts individual and group treatment for patients and families addressing addiction, psychiatric and
psychosocial issues; assisting patients and families in developing coping strategies.
- Develops social service resources and maintains a working relationship with community based social and health
- Assists with the coordination and leading of multidisciplinary staff case conferences, as appropriate.
- Maintains caseload in accordance with standards set by Department of Behavioral Health at MSBI.
- Evaluates patients treatment planning that involves more complex treatment issues, such as, mental health, dual diagnosis, housing, domestic violence, adult protective services, HIV/AIDS and other disabling/chronic medical, psychological and social problems.
- Prepares reports and ensures that all written work requested is submitted accurately and timely.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychosocial, educational,
safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned area.
- B. Organizational/Managerial
- Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities.
- Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information.
- Observes the Health Care System’s compliance policies.
- C. Educational/Professional Development
- Participates in the development of other staff members.
- Meets regulatory, licensure and annual health assessment requirements.
- Identifies learning strengths and needs.
- Utilizes learning resources.
- To provide community resources for Social Service/Mental Health needs of patients and refer where appropriate.
- Participate in committees as requested by Coordinator of Clinical Services/Social Work.
- Attend supervision and department meetings as scheduled.
- D. Communication/Relationships
- Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with patients, families and significant
- Displays courtesy, tact and patience during interactions with all members of the hospital staff and extended
May be required to perform other duties as assigned or perform other duties when necessary
Masters in Social Work from an accredited school of social work. Knowledge of social work services, theories, techniques, community resources and agencies.
EXPERIENCES AND/OR SKILLS REQUIRED
3 years post MSW experience required. Previous experience facilitating groups is essential. In-service education and training experienced desired. Prior experience working with a substance abusing population preferred. Flexibility, willingness to travel to multiple clinic sites and ability to work early A.M. hours.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.