Clinical Quality Specialist – Emergency Department
Categories: Allied Health – Emergency Services
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Supports and assists in the coordination of Quality Improvement Projects in the Emergency Department at Mount Sinai West Hospital including reporting and documentation of these activities through established structures in Emergency Medicine and quality improvement departments. Provides quality improvement facilitation and support for multidisciplinary teams undertaking improvement initiatives. Collaborates with members of the nursing education department, department of Safety & Quality, and Center for Advanced Medical Simulation with assessment of learning needs of nursing and physician staff as they pertain to quality and performance improvement; assist with the provision of education and mentoring in the methods of tools of rapid cycle and continuous quality improvement. Participates in monitoring of regulatory compliance, identifies opportunities for improvement, and assist Emergency Department related patient care units with development and implementation of improvement strategies. Assists with benchmarking activities related to quality improvement projects through regional and hospital system defined benchmarks as appropriate.
- Assists with review and development of interdisciplinary and interdepartmental structure standards, process and outcome standards in conjunction with Emergency Medicine and quality improvement departments leadership
- Support unit-based leadership by developing tools to monitor outcomes at the unit level
- Provides support for quality improvement teams by including arranging meetings, providing minutes, managing project timelines, and preparing reports
- Participates in development of presentations, reports and publications
- Establishes collaborative relationship with nursing staff and leadership, medical staff and leadership, and other administrative staff
- Attends and participates is assigned hospital committees and teams as appropriate
- Plays central role on hospital teams participating in quality collaborative offered by member organizations such as GNYHA, CMS and HANYS
- Plays central role on hospital teams participating in quality collaborative related to Sepsis and other projects in Emergency Medicine offered by NYS Department of Health
- Functions as a respectful member of the health care team
- With Departmental QI/administrative staff and leadership develops and manages the QI program for the Department including Divisional Programs if applicable.
- Liaison with hospital simulation program clinical and administrative staff and participates in activities in the simulation center pertinent to ongoing QI projects to support staff education and clinical competencies
- Develop and design quality/performance improvement studies including creation of data collection tools and oversight of data collection and analysis of findings
- Creates and manages databases, generates reports, and graphs efficiently and on a timely basis
- Participates in chart reviews related to assigned QI projects
- Master’s in nursing or related field required or in progress. Minimum of five years of recent clinical experience in Emergency nursing with demonstrated leadership skills
- Knowledge of current quality/ performance improvement standards.
- Data Management experience preferred with an emphasis on data collection, tabulation and aggregation.
- Training experience.
- Experience with structured medical record review and abstraction.
- Registered Professional Nurse in the State of New York. Current RN License and Certificate in healthcare Quality (CPHQ) preferred
Knowledge of Tableau or other Data Analytic programs
Proficiency with MS Office Suite, data analysis and presentation software
Familiar with NYS & other regulatory agency requirements.
Excellent written and verbal skills.
Ability to work independently
Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with physicians.
Strong facilitation and organizational skills