Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Coordinates work of Patient Representatives, students and volunteers in the department.
- Assists in the development of budgets.
- Develops and analyzes data pertaining to department activities, monitors trends in patients' perceptions of services and drafts reports on these and related subjects.
- Participates in special studies or projects related to improving patient satisfaction.
- Receives and responds to referrals from patient/families, professional and administrative staff and the community. Responds to crisis situations and anger and anxiety of patient/families and staff, requiring high level of interpersonal and communication skills.
- Is involved in problems of consent procedures, helping patients to understand risks and benefits and assuring that they are given the opportunity and time necessary to discuss and consider procedures and alternatives.
- Assists in cases where patient is threatening to leave the hospital against medical advice.
- Responds to patients problems, concerns and unmet needs to promote patient satisfaction with services. Investigates complaints through interviews with hospital personnel and review of patient documentation including patient charts. Explains resolution of problems or concerns to patient/families and to appropriate hospital personnel.
- Participates in developing and presenting orientation and inservice educational programs to various hospital departments, medical students and volunteers in relation to the Patient's Bill of Rights. Maintains an awareness of patient/family perception of care, and helps to facilitate improvement of staff attitude.
- Interviews patients and families in cases of hospital inability. Makes recommendations to Risk Management.
- Documents problems identified, services provided and action taken according to established hospital procedure.
- Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration or Social Sciences, Health Care Specialization or related programs; and a minimum of one year responsible experience in an administrative, supervisory or volunteer capacity in hospital administration/organization in the coordination and delivery of patient care services -OR-
- A Master's Degree from an accredited college or university in Public Health, Public or Hospital Administration, Health Care Specialization, Business Administration or related discipline -OR-
- or a satisfactory equivalent combination of training, education and experience.
- Patient Advocacy Certificate or applicable work experience may be considered in lieu of educational requirements
- Bilingual Spanish preferred