Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Dept Name- Central Sterile
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Orients, trains, assigns work to, evaluates and when necessary, disciplines and/or recommends discharge of subordinate SPD personnel. Staff consists of different levels of sterile processing technicians and supervisors.
- Supervises decontamination, cleaning preparations, assembling, wrapping, sterilization, storage and distribution of all supplies and equipment handled in the department.
- Participates in developing departmental policies and procedures and standards related to Sterile Processing.
- Routinely inspects and checks work in progress to ensure that standards are adhered to and takes corrective action as necessary.
- Collaborates with the other managers to provide and maintain adequate staffing for all SPD Areas, coverage for the weekends and benefit time.
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and technical expertise in sterile processing and inventory control principles
- Demonstrate ability to collect and interpret statistical data on the progress and success of the educational programs based on productivity and quality performance reports and utilizes the data to improve the departments’ competency performance
- Ensures inventory control by dealing with salesmen for the purpose of ordering supplies and equipment with established expense limitations. Maintains and makes minor repairs of sterilization equipment and instruments in area of responsibility. Assists Purchasing with obtaining information needed for trade-outs or purchase equipment and supplies. Prepares accurately all requisitions for new purchases and maintains adequate records for reconciliation purposes.
- Evaluates alternative equipment, materials, supplies methods, procedures and practices for the purpose of implementing and effective cost control program and to attain better quality controls.
- Works closely with other departments and related personnel in coordinating activities and resolving problems encountered concerning supply shortages, needs and instruments problems.
- Responsible for putting into payroll, staff hours worked.
- Responsible for annual performance appraisal of staff assigned to your area. Provides ongoing evaluation and feedback to staff regarding performance. Demonstrate ability and skills to monitor, audit and enhance the quality of the process and products manufactured or rendered to customers by the department
- Demonstrate complete understanding and ability to implement, utilize, and train personnel on the use of tracking system.
- Creates new set count sheets prior to utilization of any new instrumentation and ensures the instrument and tray picture are in the tracking system. Ensures all instrument catalog #’s, manufacturer’s names and description are accurate in the instrument tracking system.
- Maintains inventory list, manufacturer recommendations for decontamination, preparation and sterilization as well as picture files of all loaner instrumentation, power equipment, surgical instruments, accessories and implants. Informs staff of any recommended variance in process.
- Coordinates new tray orientation for all SPD technicians.
- Coordinates new employee orientation in conjunction with the Education Development Department. Facilitates staff participation in presentation of in-services.
- Assists in monitoring safety and infection control standards.
- Follows hospital and department policies on attendance and tardiness. Demonstrates flexibility in 24-hour staffing and scheduling to meet department and hospital needs.
- Take calls on weekends.
- Must have SPD/CS certification (CRCST).
- A minimum of an Associate degree or five years managerial experience in sterile processing.
- Five years of responsible Central Service/SPD in healthcare environment and progressive work experiences in central service - sterile processing and case cart preparation. Demonstrate ability and knowledge in management and supervision of diversity staff.
- Comprehensive knowledge in:
- specific health care products
- decontamination and sterilization equipment
- inventory control and receiving of goods
- reprocessing techniques and principles,
- regulatory agencies standards.
- experience in surgical instrumentation
- Current membership and active participation in a relevant professional organizations.
- Proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets and instrument tracking systems
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.