Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Has 24 hour a day accountability for supervising the Emergency Department Physician Assistant staff
2. Responsibilities include hiring, orienting, training, evaluating, disciplining, ensuring proper credentials and scheduling
3. Directs, develops, and monitors areas of PA responsibility including direct patient care, triage, PA student rotations, and the Follow -Up Quality Assurance Program
4. Mentors others in the often highly demanding and stressful Emergency Department environment
5. Provides direct primary care to Emergency Department patients according to the Protocol for Emergency Department Utilization of Physician Assistants thus maintaining continuous contact with front line issues and serving as an exemplary role model
6. Elicits appropriate problem oriented histories
7. Conducts focused, accurate physical examinations and formulates diagnosis
8. Appropriately orders and interprets diagnostic tests
9. Provides treatment plans including prescriptions and appropriate follow up
10. Provides culturally sensitive, thorough and clear discharge planning
11. Presents all Treat and Release Policy II, as well as questionable cases to the Emergency Department attending prior to discharging the patient
12. Maintains accurate, legible and well documented charts
13. Responsible for triage evaluation of non ambulance patients presenting to the Emergency Department
Requires a minimum of 5 years PA clinical experience in Emergency Medicine.
Must possess managerial skills necessary to set performance standards, hire, train, evaluate and discipline PA staff.
Professionalism, sensitivity, fairness, exemplary patient centered focus and superior work ethic.