The Clinical Risk Manager in the Department of Risk Management and Patient Safety is responsible for the day to day risk management activities for the Medical Center, including investigating, managing and analyzing risk management data; complying with risk management standards of the Joint Commission, other accrediting agencies, and the New York State Department of Health and conducting risk management educational programs.
The Clinical Risk Manager is responsible for the coordination and investigation of serious adverse events, including potentially reportable incidents to the New York State Department of Health and provides documentation of all related data and facilitates resolution of reported incidents. This position supports the Medical Center’s objective of enhancing and promoting patient safety and quality of care and minimizing loss to protect the assets of the facility. This individual participates in formulating risk reduction strategies, policy and/or organizational changes.
- Coordinates the risk management program to meet the needs of the institution.
- Performs investigation of potentially reportable incident (s) to the New York State Department of Health.
- Review and analysis of all occurrence reports for Risk Management, quality of care, regulatory and insurance concerns.
- Conducts Root Cause Analysis investigations, which includes assessing need for focused review by departments, and or clinical chairpersons for peer reviews.
- Maintains risk management information system database.
- Prepares various incident summary reports; provides all required documentation for investigations, activities and resolutions related to the reported incident(s).
- Facilitates the peer review process and completion of corrected action plans (CAP).
- Identifies organizational risk through trend analysis of incidents, incident letters, reports etc.
- Interface with the FOJP on-site Risk Control Coordinators: reporting potential claims as well as cases of concern by preparation of preliminary reports, and determination of priority of investigation given risk management assessment
- Acts as a resource person by presenting relevant risk management issues for discussion and evaluation.
- Keeps abreast of appropriate regulatory requirements related to risk management.
- Responds to inquiries regarding various reports and individual professional liability matters.
- On-call responsibility to provide 24/7 coverage to field inquiries from all medical center staff (outside normal business hours) on risk management and other concerns.
- Serve as point person and coordinator for planned and unannounced site visits by the New York City as well as New York State Departments of Health.
- Active participation on committees directed toward promoting quality of care and with availability to attend/cover other Committee meetings as well as Mortality and Morbidity conferences.
- Assists in developing educational programs to raise staff awareness to risk exposure and the impact on professional liability.
- Prepares annual analytical summary of risk management annual and historical data and trends for presentation to Senior Management.
- Performs other related duties
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing or related field; Masters or JD preferred.
- 3 years risk management experience (greater than three years preferred)
- Current license as a Registered Professional Nurse or other licensed clinical professional; JD preferred