Operates Mammographic Imaging Equipment to produce clinical diagnostic x – ray films as directed by physicians. Performs screening and diagnostic procedures according to established standards and practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Performs Mammographic procedures to include screening, diagnostic, and stereotactic.
2. Applies the necessary technical judgment to obtain studies of an acceptable diagnostic quality according to written protocols and the patients’ needs.
3. Operates specialized digital imaging equipment using established ACR and FDA guidelines along with imaging protocols set within the mammography program.
4. Assists, prepares and positions patients as required to perform Mammographic procedures.
5. Provides patient education relevant to specific imaging procedures by informing the patient of the nature of the procedure, the area to be imaged and any specific instructions the patient may need.
6. Ensures all radiographic images are appropriately labeled as specified by the department SOP.
7. Performs daily, weekly, monthly and semi-annual QC functions, related to mammography, to ensure compliance with MQSA and ACR.
8. Evaluates images for technical acceptability, obtains additional images as needed, and ensures images are transmitted to PACS in a timely fashion.
9. Determines if the procedure was sufficient, or if additional imaging procedures are needed; consult with Radiologist as necessary.
10. Provides images, data analysis, and patient information to the physician for diagnostic interpretation.
11. Assists physician directly as required.
12. Able to assist with invasive procedures as needed.
13. Prepares sterile fields and trays pertinent to particular Mammographic procedures.
14. Performs preparation of breast biopsies and needle localizations and accessories required to assist the physician in performing procedures.
15. Ensures Radiology room and equipment cleanliness, at the start and at the end of the shift, to include removal of soiled or dirty linen.
16. Ensures that all studies performed are completed accurately in the Radiology Information System, in a timely fashion.
17. Completes all documentation, including computerized documentation.
18. Informs supervisor or appropriate personnel of needed repairs to equipment or unsafe conditions.
19. Performs related clerical duties in the absence of support personnel.
20. Maintains supplies and accessories in radiographic room necessary to safely perform duties, as required.
21.Accurately records all required patient tracking information into IDX (Radiology Information System).
22.Informs supervisor or appropriate personnel of needed repairs to equipment or unsafe conditions.
23.Maintains statistical reports for inspections by DOH, MQSA.
24.Prevents the spread of infection to self, patients, visitors, and other employees by adhering to infection control policies and protocol.
25.Attends in-services and other professional development meetings as required.
26.Maintains in good standing, licensure specific to job to include adherence to Article 35 of the Public Health Code.
High school graduate. Graduate from an accredited program in radiological technology
One year full time experience as a Mammography technologist.
Licensing and Certification Requirements
New York State License (L.R.T.).
American Registry of Radiologic Technologists. Mammography Registered or Eligible. (ARRT-M)