Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Patient Representative- #80490
Patient Representative – Full Time Days (10am-6pm)
Roles & Responsibilities:
Act as liaison to strengthen the relationship between the Medical Center and patients and their families, effect resolution to problems, and counsel in potential AMA cases and crisis situations
- Receives and responds to referrals from patients/families, professionals and administrative staff and the community.
- Responds to crisis situations, and reactions of patients/families.
- Explains risks and benefits to patients, ensuring that all necessary precautions and alternatives were discussed.
- Advises patient/families of “Patient’s Bill of Rights” and of patient’s responsibilities.
- Assists in cases where patient is threatening to leave the hospital against medical advice.
- Responds to patient problems, concerns and unmet needs to promote patient satisfaction with services. Investigates complaints through interviews with hospital personnel and reviews pertinent documentation including patient charts.
- Interviews patients and families in cases of possible hospital liability. Documents (for hospital records) the problem, service provided, and action taken. Services to objectively resolve grievances.
- Explains resolution of problems or concerns to patient/families and to appropriate hospital personnel.
- Participates in orientation and in-service educational problems to employees, medical students, and volunteers in relation to the Patient’s Bill of Rights, patient perception of care and staff sensitivity to patient records.
- Provides Notary Public Services to patients.
- Performs other duties as required.
- BS/BA degree in behavior science, social work, or related field is preferred (note experience)
- 2 years of patient and/or health care relations or other related experience.
- With BA/BS, 3 years without degree but BA/BS is preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) candidates preferred.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.