Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Manager of Student Services – School of Nursing - Full Time
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Manager of Student Services is responsible for the overall functioning and performance of the Department of Student services, providing day-to- day leadership and direction with respect to policies, practices, systems and operations. The Manager oversees scheduling and work assignments, is responsible for ensuring quality standards, completing evaluations, handling complaints, grievances and appeals and performing other duties as required. The Manager contributes to the School’s success by providing input into the development of school’s strategic and operational plans, and by ensuring that the school achieves its student engagement and retention goals.
- Leads and represents the Department of Student Services in the day-to-day operations of the department, ensuring safety of students, consistency of practice and maintenance of optimum service levels.
- Provides school-wide leadership by, directing the departments' work with faculty and staff, colleagues, students and community partners in order to support, provide and/or facilitate activities that ensure that the school achieves its student leadership development, and engagement goals.
- Provides leadership, analysis and advice in relation to policies and procedures regarding students and services for students, including risk management.
- Plans, organizes, directs, and administers activities and services that support students in assigned areas, and ensures that such activities and services remain with budgetary limits.
- Develops, implements, monitors, and reviews tactical and operational plans, procedures, systems and support in accordance with the school’s strategic goals, policies, procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Works with the Dean, Associate Dean, Asst Dean, and Faculty to ensure that applicable services and programs are planned, developed, regularly reviewed and updated, ensuring quality standards for program review.
- Addresses complaints and conducts investigations as required.
- Ensure full compliance with applicable federal statutes relating to nondiscrimination and assist enrolled students as a Title IX coordinator.
- Maintains knowledge of and ensures compliance with the collective agreements and working conditions in effect at the school. Represents the school in the grievance procedure.
- Leads or participates in school-wide initiatives and committees as assigned by the Dean
- Represents the school before government agencies, other institutions, various organizations and groups.
- Coordinate and plan instructor course schedules and classroom assignments.
- Plan and implement new student orientation events.
- Head the Institutional Effectiveness Committee-conduct quarterly meetings to evaluate standards of effectiveness and compile annual effectiveness plan to improve placement rates, retention rates, exam pass rates and satisfaction rates.
- Review monthly student representative meeting minutes to generate improvement plans based on feedback received.
- Organize celebratory and educational events on campus for enrolled students.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree; Graduate degree preferred
- Minimum five years demonstrated administrative experience in a post-secondary educational institution or equivalent combination of formal education and relevant work experience in an academic environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, presentation and oral communication skills, delivered in a manner appropriate to the audience.
- Understanding of administrative law and principles of natural justice.
- Ability to establish priorities, organize, schedule and solve problems and tasks.
- Ability to engage in critical thought and analyze all types of quantitative and qualitative data into informational reports and presentation for strategic planning and problem solving.
- Proven ability to synthesize detailed, complex information into clear and compelling recommendations and briefing.
- Demonstrated ability to model appropriate professional, ethical and collaborative behaviors that engender collaboration, trust and respect consistent with the responsibilities of this position.
- Professional and Ethical Behavior – Demonstrates integrity, credibility, confidentiality, and responsibility in all interactions. Possesses high ethical standards and an honest, open, and consistent approach to working with peers, employees, and staff. Completes what he/she commits to doing.
- Administrative Skills – Provides leadership to and ensures accountability for achievement for results; very focused; strong organizational skills; simplifies often complex and lengthy matters; effective time management skills; ability to separate important issues and identify priorities.
- Communications Skills - Possesses strong communication skills, both verbal, and written and expresses thoughts in an organized, concise manner. Actively listens to the issues of others in a manner that elicits cooperation and support. Develops and delivers effective presentations. Has the ability to present information and ideas to diverse groups.
- Market Knowledge – Continuously seeks to stay current and be at the leading edge in his/her field and is committed to continuous learning; one that is self‐motivated and self‐ directed, being able to work independently with sense of urgency to task completion.
- Organizationally Astute – Is diplomatic and tactful; non-confrontational; recognizes internal and external sensitivities; has an intuitive ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions; uses sound judgment.
- Analytical and Problem‐Solving Skills – Consults appropriately; thoroughly collects data, and analyzes problem in context of organizational goals; uses sound judgment, builds consensus, makes independent decisions appropriately; implements solutions appropriately.
- Innovative & Entrepreneurial Approach – Seeks out possibilities, develops new ideas, and effectively moves them forward. Is creative, innovative and takes advantage of opportunities, while recognizing the necessity of working with limited resources and in alignment with the strategic directions of the College.
- Energetic & Adaptable – Is prepared to take on longer-term initiatives and does so with enthusiasm; ability to adapt to new and changing situations; able to alter course/direction when necessary; enjoys and embraces new challenges. Flexible; able to deal with stress effectively
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.