Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department of Social Work (MSW) - Req Number: 81130
Job Title: Manager Social Services
The Social Services Manager designs and implements programs to meet the social and emotional needs of patients and patients' families in a hospital setting. Develops plans for patient care after release from treatment and is responsible for overseeing and directing activities of the clinical social services program. He / She monitors and evaluates services provided by the Social Workers and takes appropriate steps to revise or supplement program services.
1. Provides professional and administrative guidance to assigned staff engaged in providing social work services to patients and family members in response to social and/or environmental difficulties which interfere with obtaining maximum benefit from medical care.
2. Monitors and evaluates services provided by staff. Identifies and assesses need for new or revised program services.
3. Develops, secures approval of and implements new program services.
4. Interviews, recommends hiring, schedules, assigns work to, and evaluates the work of assigned staff. Recommends particular recognition, discipline and, if necessary, discharge of staff.
5. Develops and maintains effective working relationships with various hospital departments and outside agencies in order to coordinate social work functions with other patient services, to gather and exchange patient information, and/or to elicit cooperation.
6. Develops, secures approval of, and implements policies and procedures for assigned programs. Assists in developing plans and budgets for area of responsibility and participates in developing and implementing department-wide policies and procedures.
7. Develops and implements effective educational orientation programs for the
Social Work staff and fieldwork students.
8. Provides direct social work services, when necessary, to maintain professional expertise and in response to workload or staffing shortages. Develops plans for patient care after release from treatment.
9. Keeps current on government and community social service programs and regulations and maintains professional skills through participation in appropriate educational or development activities.
10 Develops study ideas and encourages research, both within the Department and collaboratively.
11. Ensures effective use of resources by assessing assignments.
12 Identifies ongoing educational needs and assist in the staff development programs.
13 Develops and monitors educational programs for health professionals and students through activities such as participating on committees, consultations or planning courses within the School of medicine and teaching in Community Medicine.
Performs other related duties.
General Skills and Competencies
1. Communication - Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
2. Decision Making - Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
3. Building a Successful Team - Using appropriate methods and a flexible interpersonal style to help build a cohesive team; facilitating the completion of team goals.
4. Adaptability - Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
5. Building Trust - Interacting with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization.
6. Aligning Performance for Success - Focusing and guiding others in accomplishing work objectives.
7. Customer Focus - Ensuring that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs.
8. Driving for Results - Setting high goals for personal and group accomplishment; using measurement methods to monitor progress toward goals; tenaciously working to meet or exceed goals while deriving satisfaction from that achievement and continuous improvement.
9. Coaching and Developing Others - Providing feedback, instruction, and development guidance to help others excel in their current or future job responsibilities; planning and supporting the development of individual skills and abilities.
10. Building Partnerships - Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
11.Delegating Responsibility - Allocating decision-making authority and/or task responsibility to appropriate others to maximize the organization’s and individuals’ effectiveness.
12.Gaining Commitment - Using appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one’s own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations, and individuals involved.
13. Stress Tolerance - Maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
14. Compliance - Assures compliance with regulatory, insurance and ethical standards regarding safety of patients, employees and property. Identifies contingency plans for potential risks.
Level of Physical Activity Required: Light
General Office Environment
Master’s degree in social work (MSW)
Licensing and Certification Requirements
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
MS Office Suite (intermediate)
Responsible for Employee Evaluations and Performance Programs