Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
OPERATING ROOM SUITE - REQ #81218
Job Title: Certified Surgical Technician
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Protects the patient’s rights of privacy, person, and property and maintains confidentiality at all times
- Demonstrates the ability to perform clinical/technical/service/administrative tasks
- Works safely and provides for the safety of patients and others
- Demonstrates understanding of operative procedures and skill in assisting the surgical team in the scrub role
- Anticipates and meets needs of the surgical team, with demonstrated speed and manual dexterity
- Demonstrates careful handling and disposition of surgical specimens
- Maintains an organized sterile field
- Complies with policies regarding Implants, medication safety, counts and retained foreign bodies
- Selects, uses, decontaminate, reassemble, and sterilizes instruments and equipment, according to established departmental protocol
- Demonstrates ability to maintain and operate sterilizing apparatus
- Check that the equipment is in working order before the time out process takes place
- Applies principles of aseptic technique in setting up/maintaining a sterile field, limiting area of contamination, detecting, reporting and correcting breaks in sterile technique
- Uses supplies appropriately, in a cost-effective manner
- Checks dates on supplies, restocks supplies and cleans cupboards
- Assists circulating nurse.
- Actively Participates in the TIME OUT process
- Uses technical skill in procedures such as skin preparation, draping , wound care, dressing and drains
- Assists in the safe transfer and positioning of patients according to accepted procedure.
- Make accurate and pertinent observations of the patient’s condition and reports to circulating RN/Charge RN
- Assists in maintenance of a safe, sanitary and orderly environment.
- Maintains correct flow of dirty and clean instruments in department , (sprays dirty instruments with enzymatic and places dirty trays in closed case carts and moves it to dirty elevator area )
- Uses knowledge of environmental hazards, such as anesthetic agents, mechanical, electrical, optical, and radiological equipment, to protect patients and prevent accidents
- Assists in preparation of the room for the next operation; EX. equipment, trays, soft and sharp supplies
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Graduation from Certified CST Training Program.
- NBSTSA certification.