Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Evaluates and treats patients referred for speech, language, cognitive, and dysphagia dysfunction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Evaluates and treats patients with neurogenic speech language/swallowing impairment; communicates findings to members of the Rehab team via participation in patient conferences and in written reports.
2. Recommends diets, and performs modified barium swallow studies
3. Provides patients, families and caregivers with ongoing counseling regarding the nature of swallowing and communication disorders and their ramifications for functional performance.
4. Determines appropriate tasks to be undertaken by Speech students.
5. Orders treatment materials as appropriate, with budgetary considerations in mind.
6. Institutes speech pathology inservice training programs for inter-disciplinary staff.
7. Formulates and implements group therapy programs to address the needs of communication-impaired patients and their families in the community.
8. Consults with and establishes liaisons with existing senior citizen centers, stroke clubs, organizations for the head-injured, for the purposes of education, information-sharing, development of appropriate community programs, referrals and follow-up.
9. Designs appropriate PI instrument and participates in performance improvement. Acts as a member of the PI committee as assigned by the Chief Speech Therapist or Therapy Manager.
10. Maintains accurate patient treatment/attendance statistics.
11. Assures public relations within the community. Promotes profession at universities and colleges.
12. Participates in progress development for Rehab unit and speech department.
Masters degree in speech-language pathology
New Grad or Clinical Fellowship Year
New York State Speech-Language Pathologist License or Clinical Fellowship Year*
Licensing and Certification Requirements (if applicable)
Name: Speech-Pathology (1 Year)
Issuing Agency: Department of Health / Office of Professions