Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Responsible for oversight of the administrative, operational and financial activities of a department, medical care unit or division, typically two or more areas. Ensures the successful coordination and delivery of the day-to-day operations, including staffing and administration of policies and procedures.
Manage departmental operations and provide guidance to supervisors and front end staff. Responsible for oversight of departmental activities, including release of information, medical record completion, performance improvement, distribution of monthly reports, performing medical record auditing, point of care and post discharge scanning, facilitating medical record committee activity, staff training, data quality monitoring and providing administrative assistance to members of the medical staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establishes major schedules, task assignments and allocation of manpower, space and equipment to ensure conformance with departmental goals and objectives. Manages and coordinates activities of clerical, and administrative personnel of the department.
- Administers departmental contracts and grants in accordance with MSMC policies and sponsors’ requirements regarding the maintenance of records, reports, controls and conditions governing expenditure of funds.
- Recommends changes in operational policies and procedures to ensure compliance with the organization’s guidelines. Ensures activities are in compliance with federal, state and local regulations and/or guidelines.Analyzes internal processes and plans or implements procedural and policy changes to improve operations.
- Assists in the determination of fiscal requirements and prepare budgetary recommendations; monitors, verifies and reconciles expenditure of budgeted funds. Assists in the planning of budgetary needs by analyzing short and long-term program plans. Collaborates with department leadership to assure the completion of the annual budget and subsequent monitoring of financial status of the department, unit or division.
- Recommends cost saving methods, such as supply changes and disposal of records to improve efficiency of department.
- Ensures the adherence to budget parameters.
- Maintains liaison with all levels of administration, faculty and/or outside organizations to coordinate operational activities, to accomplish directives and to facilitate the resolution of problems.
- Prepares operational and financial reports and analyses. Setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions. Prepares and reviews operational reports and schedules to ensure accuracy and efficiency.
- Serves as the department’s liaison with administrative and professional staff regarding Mt. Sinai West policies and procedures, personnel administration, grant administration and budgetary preparation and control.
- Interprets and administers personnel policies such as hiring, performance appraisals, training, and staff disciplinary activity and salary recommendations.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and local regulations regarding equal pay and equal employment.
- Assists in the planning of short and long-range goals for the department, unit or division. Prepares and evaluates proposals to implement new programs and expand existing ones. Facilitates creation of training programs. Conducts training for staff to carry out departmental programs and services.
- Assists in the implementation of quality assurance programs and monitoring activities to meet standards and regulations of accrediting agencies such as JCAHO, CARF and New York State and City Department of Health. Ensures standards and regulations of accrediting agencies such as Joint Commission (JC) and New York State and City Department of Health are met. Facilitates implements quality assurance programs to meet standards and regulations of federal, state and city accrediting agencies.
- Chairs department committees and participates in hospital committees as assigned.
- Performs other related duties.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Health Information Management preferred.
- Associate’s Degree in Health Information Technology preferred
- Bachelor or Associate’s Degree in other related discipline or prior Health Information Management experience.
- 5+ years of related business experience with competency in applying general personnel practices, accounting and budgeting principles and coordination of one or more major administrative functions.
- 2-3 years Medical Records supervisory experience preferred
- Certified as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) preferred or Technician (RHIT) preferred – American Health Information Management Association