Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
OPERATING ROOM SUITE - Req #81763
Job Title: Surgical Tech Certified Level 1
The Surgical or Operating Room Technician has knowledge and expertise in operating room technology, and is responsible for assisting in the performance of routine and delegated functions under the supervision of a Registered Professional Nurse. Performs scrub and sterile instrument duties per established guidelines.
1. Applies principles and practices of asepsis; performs surgical scrub, gowning, and gloving procedure.
2. Sets up sterile instrument table and prepares supplies according to type of operation. Assists in draping of patient and operative area according to need.
3. Assists and anticipates needs of surgeon for instruments, sutures, sponges, and supplies according to knowledge of procedural requirements and constant monitoring of progress. Observes patient and is prepared for emergencies.
4. Maintains correct count of sponges, needles, and instruments with circulating nurse and report correctness of discrepancies according to established policy and procedure. Maintains and monitors aseptic technique at all times and institute corrective measures in the event of contamination.
5. Assists in care, handling and disposition of specimen according to policy. Assists in application of dressings, and in securing drainage systems. Assists in moving patient to appropriate receptacle, decontaminate all equipment, instruments, and reusable supplies and clean room as prescribed.
6. Assists the Registered Professional Nurse in performing circulating functions according to established guidelines.
7. Assembles all necessary supplies according to requirements of the patient and surgical procedure. Provides special equipment before, during, and after surgical procedure, as needed.
8. Observes and protects patient by correct positioning, application of restraint, strict aseptic practice and maintenance of aseptic environment.
9. Positions patient, adjusts table and accessories, as required for procedure. Prepares operative area and assists in draping as directed.
10.Assists scrub in maintenance of correct sponge, needle and instrument counts and reports discrepancies to the surgical team and charge nurse. Completes operative count, and related records accurately and legibly.
11.Observes personnel in the room constantly, control traffic, report and correct breaks in aseptic technique promptly. Maintains and cares for all specimens as directed to prevent loss or damage.
12.Assists in application of dressing, moving of patient and transfer to recovery room as directed. Assists in room clean-up and make preparations for next procedure.
13:Functions as a professional role model inclusive of acting as a preceptor for students, hires newly hired staff, and incumbent staff.
14.Assists nurse in preparing medications or solutions to be administered during surgery.
15.Demonstrates accountability for our practice based on institutional/regulatory agency policies/procedures.
16.Saves all medication vials and/or ampules until patient leaves the room. Announces in an audible voice the name, concentration, amount and route of administration of the medication.
17.Maintains clinical competence and is responsible for own professional development.
18.Does not dispense narcotics or control drugs under any circumstances. Registered Professional Nurse dispenses these drugs to the physician.
19.Performs functions to assist in meeting operational needs: Assists in transportation of patients to and from the surgical suite as directed.
20.Participates in the care and storage of instruments/special equipment in the operating rooms.
21.Assists in the maintenance of quotas of current dates for sterile supplies and equipment in the operating rooms and storage areas. Assists in keeping operating room and sterile storage areas and equipment in good order. Assists in care of storage closets and cabinets.
- High School diploma required. Courses in operating room technology, science, biology and chemistry preferred
- Certification in Operating Room Technology preferred
- Prefer experience in operating room setting
- MS Office Suite - Intermediate