Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
NURSING EDUCATION - Req #81945
Job Title: WOCN Specialist
Insures the delivery of comprehensive health care in accordance with the philosophy, standards of practice, objectives and policies of the Department of Patient Care Services. Responsible for diagnosis and treatment of common problems related to the treatment, management and rehabilitation of patients with ostomies, wounds and/or continence problems as well as patient education and counseling and education of nursing staff.
- Responsibilities:Develop, revise and evaluate standards of care
- Assist in the selection of supplies, technology and equipment
- Assure appropriate rental product utility while maintaining optimal patient safety and outcomes
- Develop, provide and evaluate staff education programs, ie. Orientation, inservices and continuing education
- Demonstrates competent level of technical skill
- Conducts health assessment interview focused on wound, ostomy, continence related care
- Performs focused physical assessment.
- Orders and interprets diagnostic tests.
- Develops plan of care based on the diagnosis and individual client needs.
- Prescribes medications and treatments as appropriate.
- Works collaboratively with the health care team and makes referrals to other disciplines as indicated.
- Records, reports and interprets the client’s responses to the plan of care
- Teaches, counsels, and assists individuals and families to assume responsibility for prevention of complications as they relate to patients with ostomies, wounds, or continence problems
- Provides individualized fitting for appropriate medical equipment for in-hospital and outpatient ostomy patients
- Identifies available community resources helpful to clients, refers and assists clients in utilizing such resources.
- Makes hospital visits to clients and/or takes call as appropriate.
- BSN degree required. Master's in Nursing preferred.
- Graduate of an accredited Wound, Ostomy, Continence Educational Program
- 2-years of nursing experience
- NYS RN license and current registration
- MS Office Suite - intermediate