Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department of CAPA (MSSL) - Req Number: 81955
Job Title: Social Worker
perform the following tasks and clinical functions in an efficient and
cost-effective manner as assigned in order to help
patients/families/significant others respond to their treatment needs;
psychosocial screening and assessment, treatment, discharge planning, linkage
to community resources, crisis intervention,, standards, objectives and
policies of the Department and the Hospital System.
· Demonstrates the ability to perform clinical/technical/service/administrative tasks.
· Select treatment modality/casework technique compatible with assessment and identified goals.
· Is able to provide individual, group, family, and milieu therapies and conduct intakes as needed.
· Is able to perform outreach efforts to build linkages with other providers and community programs, and to help other providers in the program facilitate appropriate clinical discharges.
· Provides Dialectical Behavior Therapy and various substance treatment approaches for adolescents.
· Advocates for patients and families by interpreting their needs to, and eliciting cooperation from other disciplines and community agencies.
· Assesses situation and re-negotiates level of care with patient/family as needed.
· Participates in Interdisciplinary Rounds, case conferences, and staff meetings.
· Maintains appropriate patient care documentation as defined by hospital policies and procedure.
· Sets appropriate priorities and responds to follow-up situations in an acceptable time period.
· Demonstrates ability to make decisions, solve clinical problems and manages resources.
· Demonstrates sensitivity to patient/family cultural background.
· Effectively represents the departments philosophy and policy to other departments and community agents.
· Understands the pertinent principles, concepts, values, and relationships associated with a given task.
· Is knowledgeable about entitlements and assists patients to secure needed services.
· Assumes responsibility for preparing material for conferences, rounds and staff development programs.
· Understands NYS Dept. of Health regulations concerning hospital discharge planning and explains them to patients/families.
· Demonstrates knowledge of child protection policies and domestic violence protocols.
● Collaborates and communicates effectively with community mental health services/agencies/hospitals
· Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychosocial,educational,safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned area.
- Modifies approaches based on patient age-specific needs and response to treatment.
- Provides care for patients based on age-specific needs.
- Uses communication techniques which are age appropriate.
· Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities.
· Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information.
· Organizes time well and sets appropriate priorities, balancing clinical, organizational, and administrative tasks.
C. Educational/Professional Development
· Meets regulatory, licensure and annual health assessment requirements.
· Attends and participates in Social Work meetings/in-service training.
· Augments learning via readings of current professional literature.
· Understands and adheres to the Social Work Code of Ethics.
· Observes principles of self-determination, confidentiality, and absence of prejudicial actions.
· Is able to apply the necessary knowledge and skills in the performance of job requirements.
· Assumes responsibility for own learning by identifying problems and learning needs to supervisor.
· Integrates materials discussed in supervision and appropriately applies learning to other case
· May participate in appropriate research staff development and community liaison activities.
· Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with patients, families,and significant others.
· Displays courtesy, tact, and patience during interactions with all members of the hospital staff and extended families.
· Anticipates, identifies, and alerts supervisor of developing problems with cases and in systems.
· Utilizes supervisory suggestions and criticism in an objective manner.
· Facilitates communication among patients and family members.
· Consults with other disciplines to share knowledge of patient, family, and social situation to enhance medical, psychiatric treatment, or education plan.
● Consults with other disciplines to provide appropriate level of care
· Functions in a consultative and educative capacity with all pertinent individuals or agencies who/which might impact on patients and families.
· Translates diagnostic and treatment concepts into clear, concise, and useful written records.
· May be required to perform other duties as assigned or perform other duties when necessary
Minimum 2 years experience providing individual therapy, group therapy, and family therapy for adolescents.
Minimum 2 years experience providing treatment for co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders.
Working knowledge of Dialectical Behavior Therapy for adolescents.
Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) preferred.