Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department of Social Work (MSW) - Req Number: 82008
Job Title: Social Worker
Assesses and evaluates patients/families' social, psychosocial and environmental situations to determine patient needs. Demonstrates knowledge of the disease entity and common medical interventions in the service area assigned.
- Formulates treatment plans and goals to meet patient need
- Conducts individual and/or group treatment sessions for patients and families addressing psychosocial issues; assisting patients and families in developing coping strategies and adjustment to illness
- Directs patients/families to appropriate community agencies and resources as patient need dictates
- Monitors, coordinates, case manages activities for high risk psychosocial patients to ensure implementation of multiple services
- Develops and implements strategies for successful collaboration between providers and patient/family systems
- Identifies and assists team in managing obstacles to treatment and/or discharge plans
- Provides patient/family education and encourages participation in care plan
- Provides education related to impact of psychosocial issues on patients/families to multidisciplinary providers
- Identifies, evaluates and intervenes with suspected and/or confirmed victims of abuse (i.e. child abuse/neglect; elder abuse/neglect; rape/sexual assault; domestic violence) ensuring patient safety. Monitors and interfaces with regulatory agencies to ensure safe and appropriate follow-up. Seeks consultation from appropriate administrator of identified area (i.e. Child Protection Coordinator; Victim Services Coordinator)
- Identifies and evaluates need for guardianship for patients in order to discharge or maintain themselves safely in the community
- Facilitates interdisciplinary case conferences/discharge rounds focusing team on treatment/discharge planning activities
- Identifies and recommends the need for agreements with community agencies to improve continuity of care
- Reviews medical record to assess progress toward goals
- Documents in the medical record in accordance with standards set by Department of Social Work and/or regulatory agencies
Masters in Social Work from an accredited school of social work. Knowledge of social work services, theories, techniques, community resources and agencies.
Related experience in the social service and/or health care field, preferably one year in a medical setting, which can include related field placement.
- Excellent communication/interpersonal and organizational skills
- Analytical abilities
- Basic computer skills required.
- Light Physical Activity Required