Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Responsible for directing and coordinating overall functions of revenue cycle activity, ensuring maximization of cash flow while improving patient, physician and customer relations. This includes accountability for front and back-end functions, daily reconciliation, resolution of billing inquiries and patient/caregiver education on the billing process. May function as liaison between patient and other Mount Sinai departments (Hospital or FPA) in management of patient billing inquiries.
- Plans and directs registration, patient insurance, billing/collections and data processing to ensure accurate patient billing and efficient account collection.
- Manages practice/department within the established budget, including annual planning, and develops monthly status reports.
- Supervises billing staff
- Reviews current status of patient accounts to identify and resolve billing and processing problems in a timely manner.
- Establishes and implements a system for the collection of delinquent accounts, ensuring third-party payors are contacted.
- Establishes and recommends credit and collection policies. Makes recommendations for improvement.
- Solves difficult payment and associated Mount Sinai practices or network problems (whether Hospital or FPA based). Audits problem accounts and takes appropriate action to achieve amicable outcome between patient and the Medical Center.
- May meet with new patients and caregivers in assigned department(s) to orient them to billing processes and expectations.
- Maintains contact with Medical Records and other departments to obtain and analyze additional patient information to document and process billings.
- Reviews operative reports and pathology to recommend correct coding and submission
- Develops and implements new procedures to improve the quality and quantity of work processed. Ensure policies are communicated and administered consistently.
- Develops and oversees business systems and works with Information Technology to ensure timely and accurate implementation.
- Initiates and answers pertinent correspondence. Prepares operational and financial reports and analysis, noting progress as well as adverse trends. Makes appropriate recommendations or conclusions. Maintains required records and files.
- Monitors daily operating activities of assigned department and makes suggestions necessary for improved workflow and efficiency.
- Maintains knowledge of and complies with established policies and procedures including government, insurance and third-party payor regulations.
- Attends administrative meetings and participates in committees as requested. Conducts special projects and studies, as directed.
- Acts as liaison with all levels of administration and faculty in the coordination of operational activities to achieve directives and facilitate problem resolution.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Maintains confidentiality as regards to patients accounts status.
- Assists in the planning of short and long-range goals for the department, unit or division. Prepares and evaluates proposals to implement new programs and expand existing ones.
Baccalaureate degree in business administration or related field. CPC certification. Master’s Degree in business or related field preferred
5 years experience in Hospital or Part B billing.