Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Medical Assistant I provides clinical office support to physicians and surgeons and performs patient care and administrative duties necessary to deliver quality patient care. This individual is also responsible for assisting with clinical, administrative and organizational tasks associated with patient care coordination.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the provider during patient visit via obtaining vital signs (height, weight, blood pressure, pain scale etc…) and documenting vital sign results and transcribing medication information into the electronic medical record (EMR).
- Obtains prior authorizations for prescriptions and durable medical equipment
- Drafts prescription requests in EMR and sends to provider for review, completion and processing
- Performs Phlebotomy services inclusive of collecting and processing blood, urine and stool specimens and use of a centrifuge for spinning bloods
- Performs POCT (w/the exception of glucose) and documents results in EMR for provider to review
- Performs daily Quality Control for all POCT equipment
- Orders clinical supplies when necessary
- Maintains and stocks exam and consult rooms with clinical supplies and clerical forms used by Providers
- Assists providers with procedures by preparing supplies and equipment and acting as a chaperone as needed.
- Perform EKGs when ordered by provider
- Performs pre-visit planning for Diabetic and CHF patients as per practice guidelines
- Monitor and maintains refrigerator temperature logs and biomed expirations for medical equipment
- Participates in daily huddles with MDs and other clinical team members to review daily care management patient lists and discuss patient's treatment plan & management
- Performs age-specific screenings for Activities of Daily Living, Falls, Alcohol, Tobacco, and/or Depression screenings annually for every patient
- Enters data into the electronic medical record related to medication adherence, diabetes control, foot/eye exam compliance for provider review and reconciliation
- Assists providers with distributing educational materials to patients
- Assists Population Health Management team by verifying that age/gender-appropriate patient have completed their colorectal screening, breast screening, cervical cancer screening and other pertinent preventive screens.
- Retrieves information regarding hospital admission and Emergency Room visits from outside facilities for evaluation by provider for transition of care coordination
- Assists providers with follow-up related to patients on Coumadin therapy
- Assists at the front desk as needed: answer telephones, register patients, discharge patients, schedule appointments, copy charts, schedule ancillary tests, and follow up on overdue diagnostic test results.
- Follows Primary Care Medical Home and MACRA protocols for designated role
- Performs all other job related functions as assigned.
· Minimum High School Diploma/Equivalent
· Completion of a certificate Medical Assistant program from an approved school; certification preferred
- 2-3 years of prior Medical Assistant experience required, preferably in an ambulatory practice
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills
- Knowledge of ambulatory practice operations
- Completion of AHA Heartsaver certification
Licensing and Certification Requirements (if applicable)
· Medical Assistant Certificate