Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Responsible for the daily operations of the academic Medical Center’s library, which contains medical books, journals, audiovisual materials, computer hardware and software, periodicals, newspapers or magazines, primarily in electronic format. Provides assistance and services to faculty, staff and medical students in obtaining material, utilizing print or on-line database systems and instructs on the use of the library. Ensures institutional records are maintained, classified and organized with the assistance of support personnel
1. Manages the daily operations of the Medical library.
2. Provides outreach and instruction to the student, faculty, research and clinical community to support their information needs. Teaches information retrieval, current awareness and information management classes.
3. Selects and purchases educational programs and materials for library collection which include catalogs, books, periodicals, magazines, journals, audiovisuals, computer hardware and software. Analyze requests to determine needed information
4 Catalogs and classifies collections of books, manufacturers' catalogs and specifications, periodicals, magazines, newspapers, audio-visual material, microforms, journal reprints, and other materials using systems and national standards and practices.
5. Collaborates with faculty, students and colleagues in maintaining print and online instructional tools and guides.
6 Maintains the Medical Center’s archival collection and ensures institutional records are appropriately maintained.
7 Searches literature, compiles accession lists, and annotates or abstracts materials.
8. Searches standard reference materials, including online sources and the internet, to answer faculty, staff and medical students reference.
9 Hires, orients and trains staff engaged in cataloging, locating, filing, or copying selected material.
10.Maintains computerized library system to store or search for selected material.
11.Develops the library’s website and insures that electronic resources are organized for easy accessibility from both on and off-campus.
12.Performs other related duties.
- Master’s degree in Library Science.
- 2 years of experience in health care setting preferred.
- Minimum of (1) year library experience.
- Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.