Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Provides coordinated care to (age-specific) patients by developing, monitoring, and evaluating interdisciplinary care.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Orients and educates patients and their families by meeting them; explaining the role of the patient care coordinator; initiating the care plan; providing educational information in conjunction with direct care providers related to treatments & procedures
2. Develops interdisciplinary care plan and other case management tools by participating in meetings; coordinating information and care requirements with other care providers; resolving issues that could affect smooth care progression; fostering peer support.
3. Monitors delivery of care by completing patient rounds; documenting care; identifying progress toward desired care outcomes; intervening to overcome deviations in the expected plan of care; reviewing the care plan with patients in conjunction with the direct care providers; interacting with involved departments to negotiate and expedite scheduling and completion of tests, procedures, and consults; reporting personnel and performance issues to the unit manager; maintaining ongoing communication with utilization review staff regarding variances from the care plan or transfer/discharge plan.
4. Evaluates outcomes of care with the interdisciplinary team by measuring intervention effectiveness with the team; implementing team recommendations.
5. Complies with hospital and legal requirements by fostering nursing practices that adhere to the hospital's and nursing division's philosophy, goals, and standards of care; requiring adherence to nurse practice act and other governing regulations.
6. Protects self, co-workers, and patients by following policies and procedures to prevent the spread of bloodborne and/or airborne diseases.
7. Respects patients by recognizing their rights; maintaining confidentiality.
8. Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
9. Maintains patient care database by entering new information as it becomes available; verifying findings and reports; backing up data.
10. Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
11. Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
At least two years experience as an RN; supervision or nurse manager experience is preferred but not mandatory. Long term care experience is preferred but not mandatory
Licensing and Certification Requirements (if applicable)
RN from NYS/Department of State