Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
NURSING FLOAT POOL - REQ #82901
JOB TITLE: Nursing Attendant
- Assists the nursing staff in performing selected nursing procedures, treatments, and functional tasks to specific patients including vital signs: Temperature, Pulse, Respirations, Blood Pressure and Pain Rating.
- Performs procedures associated with activities of daily living, ambulation, mobility, and personal hygiene of the patient.
- Observes, reports, and records routine and specific patient data, behaviors and responses to treatment on the appropriate flow sheet/EMR.
- Reports pertinent information and observations regarding patients to the registered nurse
- Performs procedures related to assuring a safe environment for patients, staff and others.
- Performs procedures associated with the admission, transfer and discharge of patients.
- Performs procedures associated with the maintenance of food and fluid intake.
- Performs procedures associated with excretion of body waste and or loss of fluid.
- Provides for safe and comfortable lifting, positioning and ambulation of patients in accordance with the principles of good body mechanics. Utilizes mechanical devises as necessary
- Performs simple applications of heat and cold.
- Provides care to the body of deceased patients in preparation for removal to the morgue.
- Provides support to the family/significant others. Secures property.
- Obtains, assembles and maintains equipment for use during diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- Assists members of the health care team with physical exam and other procedures.
- Conducts purposeful hourly rounding for assigned patients noting: Pain, Position, Proactive Toileting and Possessions
- Participates in the patient belonging process, including reporting of valuables to the RN and documenting accordingly.
- Transports patients by wheelchair, stretcher or bed, and escorts ambulatory patients.
- Performs errands away from the area of assignment to implement the care of patients including transporting stat specimens and/or obtaining supplies as necessary.
- Maintains a clean uncluttered and tidy environment.
- Maintains equipment and cleans as necessary. Stocks supplies.
- Works in a safe manner and provides for the safety of patients and other employees.
- Utilizes aggression control measures in the care of patients who are verbally or physically threatening
- Performs patient observation for safety, constant and/or every 20 minutes checks of assigned observation status.
- Communicates information and basic instructions to patients, families, and visitors
- Supports the mission, vision, philosophy and goals of the Department of Nursing and The Mount Sinai Health System.
- Attends ongoing staff development as assigned to maintain appropriate knowledge base and skills and to meet regulatory requirements.
- Attends unit staff and educational meetings.
- Demonstrates a humanistic, kind and caring attitude.
- Adheres to dress code in accordance with departmental policy.
- Maintains attendance and punctuality record in accordance with departmental standards.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Hospital and Departmental policy, procedure, and guidelines.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the Patient Bill of Rights and confidentiality.
- Is open and responsive to the diverse backgrounds and experience of other people and promotes an environment that is sensitive to cultural diversity.
- Respects and values each patient's unique, individual needs, beliefs, and diversity and incorporates these into delivery of care.
- Assumes other responsibilities/duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completed training a s medical assistant or nursing
- Prefer relevant experience in an inpatient health care setting
- BCLS and/or Heart Saver (CPR) certification - National Board Certified
- MS Office Suite - Intermediate
General Skills and Competencies
- Ability to read, write, understand and speak English in a clear and concise manner.
- Visual and aural acuity to assess patient within parameters of job responsibilities.
- Communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively with a wide variety of individuals.
- Oriented to consumer satisfaction.
Level of Physical Activity Required - Heavy
Describe Work Environment
Strenuous Physical Activity (e.g., frequent and sustained lifting, carrying, etc.)
Exposure to Infectious Materials (e.g., fluids, solids, tissue and/or other waste products)Exposed to a variety of clinical conditions, technologies and environmental settings Physical stamina, manual dexterity to perform a variety of tasks and skills in area of Assignment
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate, exclude, or treat people differently on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.