Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Supervise, plan, and coordinate the activities and operations of the Nuclear Medicine department. The areas of responsibility include: Personnel/resource management, imaging protocol development/compliance, quality assurance and improvement, BRC radiation safety compliance, continuing education, implementation of reengineering objectives and application of CQI to clinical operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the organization, staffing, and operational activities of the nuclear medicine department.
- Perform Nuclear Medicine imaging procedures and dose administration as needed.
- Ensures Radioactive Isotopes are ordered as needed.
- Assures all daily, weekly and monthly Quality Control Procedures are performed..
- Continually monitors staff adherence to rules and regulations, departmental policies and the policies of external agencies.
- Assures the appropriateness of all exams performed by consulting with the Nuclear Medicine Physicians on all cases. Resolves scheduling problems with the referring physicians and assures there are no delays in the performance of procedures.
- Performs quality control on Gamma Cameras, hot lab and maintains all pertinent records.
- Ensures waste Isotopes are discarded/stored as mandated by regulatory agencies.
- Monitors staff adherence to all radiation safety procedures to enhance staff awareness of the principles of ALARA and reports issues back to Administrative/Technical Manager.
- Supervises, oversees, organizes and directs work of assigned subordinates engaged in performing Nuclear Medicine procedures.
- Ensures completed studies are dictated and finalized in a timely manner.
- Establishes work priorities, in accordance with established daily assignments, or work assignments in response to patient load or malfunctioning equipment.
- Prepares and maintains work schedules, adjusting schedule as necessary to work out difficulties caused by illness, vacations, emergence situations, backlog of patient, examinations, etc. Assigns break and mealtime coverage.
- Plans and schedules work for staff to ensure proper distribution of assignments and adequate staffing, space and facilities for subsequent performance of duties.
- Reviews employee payroll, calculating time worked and ensuring time off is appropriately recorded. May authorize overtime work for subordinates depending on assigned shifts. Maintains time and attendance records.
- Completes and submits annual employee evaluations for all staff under his/her direction.
- Interviews and recommends hiring, discipline and when necessary, discharge of subordinates. Work with employees to correct deficiencies. Trains, reviews and evaluates work of subordinates.
- Ensure efficient and timely work flow to keep patient waiting to a minimum.
- Participates in developing, implementing, and administering department policies and procedures pertaining to work processes, rules, scheduling of subordinates and safety procedures.
- Ensures supplies are ordered and maintains adequate levels of approved supplies necessary to perform radiology procedures. Participates in evaluating quality and cost effectiveness of new or replacement supplies.
- Ensures equipment in assigned areas is maintained in safe, operating condition, recommending when necessary repair of equipment. Performs quality control testing monthly in each imaging room. Informs appropriate personnel of needed repairs to equipment.
- Develops and maintains cooperative working relationship with physicians and patient care departments to gather and exchange information, resolve problems such as and improve services provided.
- Establish and maintain a working environment conducive to positive morale, individual style, quality, and teamwork.
- Provides orientation for new employees with on-going performance review.
- Act as educational resource and is available for consultation with medical, technical, nursing and administrative staff.
- Develop effective procedures which ensure that requested studies are performed within 24 hours.
- Lead employees within functional area to achieve results. Leads by example, and is role model.
- Maintain patient/employee confidentiality at all times.
- Maintain competence during the year in accordance with hospital standards, and includes in-service and continuing education.
- Other relevant duties as assigned
- Graduate of an accredited and approved School of Nuclear Medicine.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Preferred)
- 3 years of technical experience in Nuclear Medicine.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
Licensing and Certification Requirements
- New York State License (L.R.T.).
- ARRT (N), and/or CNMT