Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Utility Mechanic- Engineering- Requisition #83118
The Utility Mechanic performs maintenance and repair activities on mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems and equipment and performs tasks including carpentry, locksmithing, and painting. The Utility Mechanic assists maintenance mechanics and engineers with major tasks, repairs and other duties as assigned.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Assists with the operation, maintenance and repair of all mechanical, plumbing, electrical, life safety systems and other equipment in assigned properties
- Performs preventive and reactive equipment maintenance as required by Company standards and manufacturers' specifications and documents actions/measures with the service request system
- Places orders for components, parts and supplies to maintain the continuous and efficient operations of building systems
- Takes care and custody of issued tools and equipment and assists with the maintenance and organization of tools, parts, and supplies inventories
- Quickly responds to and resolves tenant and property management service requests and documents actions with the service request system
- Performs general building maintenance and repairs, including re-lamping, plumbing, locksmithing, and painting equipment, mechanical, related spaces and other minor spot and touch-ups as needed
- Conducts periodic inspections of mechanical, common and vacant spaces and appurtenances; maintains these areas in a clean, operational, orderly, and safe condition
- Responds to alarms and incidents of any nature, provides assistance when needed, and identifies recurring issues for follow up and correction
- Ensures that required documentation, operating logs, and maintenance forms are completed accurately and clearly and are maintained in Company Compliance Books, paper files, and electronic data/filing systems
- Attends and participates in Toolbox Meetings and assists with the training and mentoring of colleagues and new employees
- Responsible for complying with and enforcing policies from the Employee Manual, Operations Manual, safety guidelines, and accepted Company practices
- Performs other duties and completes special projects as assigned; and carries out all tasks assigned by managers and supervisors in an efficient and timely manner
- Maintains a clean, safe, and accident free workplace and exercises common sense and good judgment when performing duties
- This position requires a regular, scheduled work shift set by the supervisor
- Carry and utilize Company issued communication devices for emergency response and daily communication
- As essential building personnel the responsibilities of this position occasionally require overtime, weekend and holiday work on a scheduled, short-notice or emergency basis
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is required.
Two or more years of experience within the disciplines of stationary engineering, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, fire protection, other mechanical systems and/or general building/facilities maintenance.
Licensing and Certification Requirements:
Microsoft Office - Beginner
General Skills and Competencies:
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.