Job Title: Medical Assistant/ Patient Service Representative
Responsible for effectively and efficiently providing patient procedures as ordered by the physician under the guidance of licensed medical staff (LPN, RN, NP or MD). Provides clerical support necessary for efficient and effective functioning of the office.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Assures that the delivery of patient care is consistent with the philosophy of Beth Israel Medical Group
- Performs EKGs, PFTs, audiometry, and lab testings as ordered by the physician
- Admits patient to the exam room and takes vital signs, height and weight, medical history, medication history and allergy history
- Performs quality controls
- Ensures that the patient referrals are completed and forwarded appropriately
- Documents appropriately any treatment, telephone contact, lab accession log, and daily checks.
- Adheres to universal precautions and OSHA Regulations
- Maintains examination rooms and medical areas in a clean and orderly fashion
- Stocks examination room with supplies
- Checks supplies from vendors against packing slips as assigned
- Ensures that patients and visitors are greeted promptly and courteously
- Registers and transacts patients promptly and accurately using current computer system
- Updates pertinent patient information, including medical insurance coverage and eligibility
- Ensures that all patients’ names appear on daily ledger sheets
- Schedules patient appointments
- Retrieves and files medical reports/lab results
- Maintains the patient waiting room and front desk area
- Processes HMO referrals as requested by Physician, Practice Management, and patients
- Communicates to Physician all patient emergencies
- Takes messages to ensure follow-up on all calls
- Files and maintains file units
- Balances ledger sheets and accounts for all monies received
- Has accountability for all aspects of the cash box and the contents within
- Notifies Office Administrator or Reimbursement/Front Office Coordinator when change is needed
- Provides information to other departments as requested
- Provides assistance with uncovered shifts
- Confirms appointments
- Calls insurance companies to verify coverage and eligibility
- Forwards to specialty offices all information pertinent to scheduled appointments; i.e., labs, referrals, ex-rays, etc.
- High school diploma or general education diploma (GED) required.
- Certification as a Medical Assistant or two (2) years relevant work experience preferred
- BCLS/BLS certification required from the American Heart Association
- Excellent phone manners, flexibility, knowledge of computer data entry and excellent interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to handle diversified responsibility in fast-paced environment required. Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.