Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Mount Sinai West Administration - Req # 83776
Director of Operational Excellence
Under the direction of the Chief Medical Officer, Mount Sinai West (MSW) and the Senior Director, Operations Development, Mount Sinai Health System (MSHS), the MSW Director of Operational Excellence will be responsible for directing and overseeing the continuous improvement transformation efforts across Mount Sinai West. The Director will partner with the MSW Chief Medical Officer and MSHS Senior Director and other key stakeholders to develop and implement overall strategy deployment objectives, cross functional improvement, people development, and the daily management system.
The Director will be responsible for overseeing, coaching and assisting execution of the plan across all operational areas of Mount Sinai West.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Works with MSW and System leadership to develop operational transformation plan
- Leads hospital-wide and/or large-scale improvement activities end-to-end using continuous improvement and lean methodologies
- Supports front line leaders and teams in local process improvement activities
- Implements daily management system across all operational departments, including visual management
- Coaches leaders at all levels of the organization in principles of continuous improvement and supportive leadership behaviors
- Develops and delivers content and curriculum to enhance problem solving capability in operational leaders and staff, using both didactic and workplace based methods
- Develops and delivers content and curriculum to develop internal improvement coaches
- Serves as a teacher and mentor of internal improvement coaches
- Responsible for monitoring and measuring impact and ROI of all Lean and continuous improvement activities
- Communicates status and impact of all lean and continuous improvement activities to senior executive leadership
- Conducts value stream analysis, including data collection and analytics.
- Facilitates improvement events/activities, and oversees related planning and follow-up work (VSMs, 5S, RIEs, Pilots/Experiments).
- Guides development, training and auditing of Standard Work across the hospital.
- Ensures Standard Work is in alignment with hospital and system policies, as well as associated regulatory bodies.
- Directs collection of data and supports data analysis. Prepares reports and assessments related to improvement opportunities.
- Meets regularly with the operational project sponsors and continuous improvement leaders to discuss project plans and execution of improvement projects.
- Provides appropriate documentation to the operational project sponsors and continuous improvement leaders.
- Institute forums and leverage various tactics to spread learnings throughout the hospital
- Works independently to drive improvement and coaching work
- Serves as a role model in the application of lean / continuous improvement principles, methods and practices
- 5-7 years of increasing responsibility in a continuous improvement;
- Lean Transformation experience including leading and managing large scale, complex projects across multiple hospital disciplines, including engagement of all levels of clinicians
- Application of Lean methods, tools, strategies and philosophies, including significant experience in Hoshin Kanri Strategy Deployment, VSMs and Rapid Improvement Events (Kaizen events), A3 thinking, Managing for Daily Improvement, 5S, Visual Management and Standard Work.
- Healthcare experience required. Clinical operations and/or healthcare business operations experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master degree preferred.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; strong ability to build and maintain relationships at all levels of the organization
- Experience working across various levels of staff, including previous experience working with senior executives
- High level of creativity and initiative and a self-starter mindset
- Excellent communication skills
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.