Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
1.Demonstrates the ability to perform clinical/technical/service/administrative tasks
2. Systematically and continually assesses patient’s physical, psychosocial and spiritual health status and knowledge base to determine patient’s health care and educational needs.
3. Responsible for all unit enabling operations including patient flow, assignment of technicians, ordering, medical record prep and narcotic inventory.
4. Triage all sick and walk-in patients.
5. Establish therapeutic and supportive relationships with patients and family.
6. Ensure that all pre-operative documentation is complete and in the OR for the day of surgery.
7. Acts as a resource person for all staff in the care of patients.
8. Sees patients during office hours in collaboration with physician. Provides needed clinical support during work week for patients and physicians. Educates patients regarding surgery and required treatment protocols
9. Assess needs and initiate referrals (VNS, Social Work).
10. Provides telephone follow-up of patients after discharge to answer clinical questions. Refers problems to appropriate resource or attending.
11. Coordinate and track ancillary testing and physician referrals. Assists as needed with medication orders and renewals.
12. Responsible for telephone communication:
Prescription requests, according to procedure
13. Communicates normal and abnormal test results in collaboration with provider including appropriate follow-up.
Performs therapeutic treatments and procedures
14. Assist with procedures.
15. Administer oral/IM/IV SQ medications
16. Removes surgical drains, sutures,staples
17. Performs treatments such as: assessment and care of wounds including flaps, conscious sedation and other procedures specific to the practice.
18. Provides and initiates respiratory interventions according to standards.
19. Initiates CPR, follows through with emergency procedures.
20. Coordinates patient transfers, admissions and ER referrals.
21. Identifies learning needs of family/patient, including level of comprehension.
22. Informs patients and families about treatments, tests, preps, OR procedures.
· Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities
· Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information
· Observes the Health Care System’s compliance and regulatory policies
· Manages/supervises department staff,(NCT’s) including review/approval of recommended personnel actions, time off, continuing education.
· Assists in development, implements and maintains established Medical Center policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control
· Manages care and maintenance of departmental facilities, equipment and supplies. Maintains a clean, quiet organized patient care environment.
C. Educational/Professional Development
· Participates in the development of other staff members
· Meets regulatory, licensure and annual health assessment requirements
· Identifies learning strengths and needs
· Utilizes learning resources
· Participates in professional activities and maintains professional affiliations to keep abreast of current trends/changes and legislation in the field
· Obtains certification in area of practice
· Demonstrates competence in utilizing the selected information systems
· Participates in special projects and committees
· Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with patients, families and significant others
· Displays courtesy, tact and patience during interactions with all members of the hospital staff and extended community
· Adheres to Continuum’s legal and ethical standards
May be required to perform other duties as assigned
Items 1-XX are essential functions of this position under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Item “E1” is an essential function for all patient care providers, Finance and IT and non-essential function for all support departments that do not provide patient care.
Bachelor’s degree required (requirement may be waived for currently employed RN who does not possess this degree)
Graduate of an Accredited School of Nursing
EXPERIENCE AND/OR SKILLS REQUIRED
Minimum two years Medical/Surgical Nursing experience
Effective organizational skills
Ability to problem solve using critical thinking