Strength Through Diversity.
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Performs all support functions related to patient reception, scheduling and financial pre-clearance, ensuring a high degree of patient satisfaction and maximum reimbursement to the institution. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: scheduling, pre-registration, self-pay screening and insurance eligibility determination. Responsible for obtaining and verifying patient demographic and insurance information, determining insurance/payment source, identifying necessary authorization or referral requirements, and assisting with determining and resolving insurance issues
- Greets patients in person and by telephone and updates their insurance/demographic information in the practice management system
- Gathers registration and financial information for patient pre-registration, enters the information into the practice management system and ensures all entries are complete and accurate
- Contacts patients at home to confirm scheduled and canceled appointments, as needed
- Answers phones for the practice; schedules, re-schedules and cancels patient appointments based on established protocols
- Checks in patients upon arrival at the practice and performs full registration, including: provider based registrations, verification of demographics, completion of financial screening, prioritizing and verifying insurance as appropriate with third-party providers, making follow-up appointments, directing the patient to a member of the billing team to discuss MSMC’s self-pay policy for new patients, completing of Medicare as Secondary Payer questionnaire if appropriate, and having patient read and sign NOPP
- Ensures the patient has paid, or collects, the appropriate co-pay under the direction of billing management, and provides the patient with a receipt as per cash-control protocols
- May perform simple to moderately complex charge entry tasks or enter payments collected from patients and prepares deposit
- Facilitates prior authorization and appointment scheduling for diagnostic testing requested by providers for patients in the electronic health record (EHR)
- Reviews status of waiting room on a regular basis and advises patients of wait times
- Ensures prior approval and other required procedures are met prior to delivery of care, by working collaboratively with other hospital departments
- Reconciles daily patient schedule with encounters closed
- Works billing edit reports and reviews encounters, which may require correction
- Scans documents into electronic health record (EHR) on a daily basis
- Participates in system development and process improvement by providing feedback to Manager regarding issues in registration and change posting that impact negatively on operations
- Follows all HIPAA and other federal/state agency requirements regarding proper handling of PHI documents
- Maintains all physicians and chemo/infusion schedules in Centricity Business (IDX/eIDX), ensuring that all patients are arrived in “real time”. Also, responsible for making sure that at the end of business day that no patient is left in a “PEN” status
- Completes a visit encounter and enters the ICD10 into the Eagle system for all straight teaching visits.
- Collects copies and distributes referrals to the billing representative as indicated on the computer systems.
- Responsible for the distribution of metro-cards using web-based program, i.e., PTAR; or manual entry if computer system is malfunctioning.
- Assembles all necessary paperwork; i.e., demographics, labels, distress thermometers, etc., for both physician and chemo/infusion practices, daily for the following day.
- Assist with the collection of the department’s quality improvement tools, i.e., Meaningful Use measures
- Helps to maintain a quiet, therapeutic and clean environment Adheres to legal and ethical standards
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma, Associate degree preferred
- 1-year physician practice experience. Preferred: experience in a medical office setting, utilizing a computer system for physician scheduling
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and to deal calmly with individuals under stress.
- Excellent written and oral communication, Effective interpersonal and communication skills required, excellent telephone etiquette, Knowledge of medical terminology strongly preferred
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a
part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.