Mount Sinai Careers
OPERATING ROOM TECHNICIAN
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- Applies principles and practices of asepsis; performs surgical scrub, gowning, and gloving procedure.
- Sets up sterile instrument table and prepares supplies according to type of operation. Assists in draping of patient and operative area according to need.
- Assists and anticipates needs of surgeon for instruments, sutures, sponges, and supplies according to knowledge of procedural requirements and constant monitoring of progress. Observes patient and is prepared for emergencies.
- Maintains correct count of sponges, needles, and instruments with circulating nurse and report correctness of discrepancies according to established policy and procedure. Maintains and monitors aseptic technique at all times and institute corrective measures in the event of contamination.
- Assists in care, handling and disposition of specimen according to policy. Assists in application of dressings, and in securing drainage systems. Assists in moving patient to appropriate receptacle, decontaminate all equipment, instruments, and reusable supplies and clean room as prescribed.
- Education: High School diploma required. Courses in operating room technology, science, biology and chemistry preferred.
- Certification in Operating Room Technology preferred.
- Experience: Prefer experience in operating room setting.
- Ability to read, write, understands and speaks English in a clear and concise manner.
- Visual and aural acuity to assess patients within parameters of job responsibilities.
- Communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively with a wide variety of individuals. Oriented to consumer satisfaction.