Role and Responsibilities:
Operating independently, under guidance of the Director, Project Management, and working collaboratively with the Director, Center for Digital Health, this position will spend 90-95% of time managing projects and / or supporting collaborations. The incumbent will be responsible for supporting the development and execution of project strategies in collaboration with key team members. The incumbent will spend the remaining 5 - 10% of time on efforts to, develop talent within the Icahn Institute and on personal development and growth.
• Able to independently manage project teams of any type (e.g. collaborations with third parties, internal research projects, etc.) and complexity.
• Develop project milestones and deliverables; prepare reports that summarize key progress and issues on projects across the department and the institute, including preparation of background documents and presentations to Management and third party sponsors.
• Guide teams through the effective execution of management-approved strategic plans for assigned projects; this includes ensuring risk management plans are fully developed, contracts are agreed upon and adhered to, change control procedures are followed when significant program deviations are encountered, communications within and external to the team are effective, and approved team resources and budgets are appropriately planned and managed.
• Ensure project data is accurately reported in databases and understood by team members, including information used to derive costs, schedule, resources, and any other data pertinent to creation and management of project plans.
• Apply learnings from assignments on prior teams / projects to new projects and effectively guide teams in areas of developed expertise.
• Ensure that team meetings have structure,clear purposes, and goals; facilitate meetings effectively and clearly communicate decisions and action items to team members and relevant parties outside of the team.
● Monitor team dynamics regularly to ensure optimal team performance Ensures all staffing requirements and allotment of available resources to various phases of project are met. May contribute to the performance evaluation of the employees associated with the project and may evaluate vendors and consultants and their effectiveness and ability to deliver as promised.
• Take action to correct problems within a team stemming from miscommunication, differences of opinion, misaligned objectives, inexperience, etc.
• Resolve conflicts and issues within teams.
• Monitor processes and ensure that those responsible are informed of their effectiveness; advocate for and contribute to the success of change / process improvements when warranted.
• Provide significant input into the evaluation and revision of processes and tools used to support the projects, meetings, etc. as appropriate
Business Process Improvements / PM Talent Development (5-10%)
• Ensure Icahn Institute operations are managed or affiliated processes are evaluated and feedback is provided to process owners regularly.
• Provide input into the evaluation of the Icahn Institute's scope of activities as required by Management.
• Establish good networks with a wide variety of employees, as appropriate for the given project, to assist with the implementation of change management plans.
• Provide mentoring and technical oversight to other Project Managers working on common projects.
• Take relevant training courses to increase knowledge and understanding of the discipline of project management in the pharma and healthcare industries and to improve leadership skills.
• BS/MS/PhD with significant healthcare/pharmaceutical/ biotech industry or academic experience. 5-10 years experience is preferred.
• Specialized depth of expertise in own discipline and some knowledge of other disciplines
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and accomplish goals in team settings
• Ability to relate project details to larger divisional / corporate strategies to provide context to teams
• Effective interpersonal skills; able to establish good working relationships and collaborate with networks of employees of all levels; able to foster cooperation in others; creative problem-solver.
• Effective written and oral communication skills
• Knows when and how to speak up and appropriately raise issues to the team and management
• Keeps team members, departmental colleagues (as appropriate) and management fully apprised of project / initiative status and issues
• Demonstrated leadership and credibility: diplomatic, decisive, straightforward, honest
• Ability to delegate work effectively and hold others accountable for deliverables.
• 5+ years of project management or related experience is preferred
• Project Management certification / training and / or coursework & training in Project Management and/or Six Sigma are preferred
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.