Position Description- Director of Ambulatory Quality and Patient Engagement
Mount Sinai Health System is one of the leading US health systems, innovative service provider to the many communities we serve, and an internationally reputed academic medical center. We are transforming our business to focus on population health – our goal is to keep entire communities healthy and out of the hospital. Mount Sinai Health Partners (MSHP) is the team driving this transformation within Mount Sinai. The team includes 350+ employees with clinical, contracting, finance, IT, analytics, and operations expertise.
The Director of Ambulatory Quality and Patient Engagement drives the implementation and ongoing improvement initiatives that enable Mount Sinai to deliver better value to its patients, its customers (i.e., plan sponsors and payers), its providers, and its partners. At Mount Sinai, value is defined broadly and encompasses improved health outcomes, more efficient operations, better patient experience, more joyful care team environment, and improved financial performance in value-based contracts. The director for quality and patient engagement works directly with entire Quality team, including the program managers for quality and efficiency, clinical informatics, director of clinical pharmacy, pharmacists, patient engagement coordinators, and data analytics. They will also work directly with senior leadership, including the Deputy CMO and CMO of MSHP as well as the Chief Population Health Officer.
As a leader for ambulatory quality, the director will develop strategies for success in quality among our various contracts and programs. While these continue to grow, the medical director for ambulatory quality will be in charge of quality in 3 main domains: 1) Clinically Integrated Network; 2) Value-Based Contracts/Pay for Performance Contracts including MSSP and Healthfirst; 3) Quality component of MACRA/MIPS program at MSHS. In addition, they will oversee the patient engagement strategy critical to achieving success.
The Director for Quality and patient engagement role is both strategic and operational, working directly with clinical and operational leadership to develop strategy, identify and track performance on key indicators, analyze performance against national benchmarks, plan content for physician education/engagement initiatives, and serve as the primary clinical point of contact for quality initiatives with departmental and divisional chairs, practice medical directors, and payors’ medical directors. The Director will interact with a wide variety of stakeholders throughout the health system and prepare executive presentations about the Quality program’s financial and clinical impact, strategies for success, and outcomes of such strategies.
1) Develop and Implement Quality Program (QPM) within the Clinically Integrated Network
2) Attend CIOC meetings and present material relevant to quality program
3) Develop strategies to achieve 4 stars in MA contracts and HF MCD HQIP program.
4) Achievement of quality targets in commercial plans to maximize potential shared savings
5) Design and Oversee patient engagement strategy (direct oversight of patient engagement coordinators and navigators)
6) Guide quality initiatives performed in voluntary practices within the CIN
7) Lead MSHS Monthly Ambulatory Quality Workgroup
8) Work with pharmacy and quality team to maximize med adherence
9) Interface with MSHS leaders/stakeholders to achieve improved quality and patient experience and outcomes
10) Assist with ACO quality performance (co-lead MACRA quality subcommittee)
11) Assist with GPRO submission
• Masters or greater in Nursing, or MD or DO degree or related medical field
• Minimum 7 years’ relevant work experience
• Background in Internal or Family medicine
• Initial board certified required (e.g., ANCC or AANP); maintenance of certification preferred
· Experience in primary care delivery and passion for primary care excellence required
• Experience as a quality director, or similar role with responsibility for the creation, operation, and oversight of quality and efficiency programs, preferred
• Experience in developing and implementing quality programs, care pathways, clinical guidelines and best clinical and operational practices, preferably in primary care
• MIPS Awareness and implementation success, preferred
Key Skills and Attributes
• Excellent ability to engage and inform providers about quality and efficiency program initiatives
• Superior work ethic and persistence to achieve challenging goals
• Strong skills to motivate and influence behavior
• Flexible team player – able to collaborate well with diverse set of team members. Participate and promote clinical and interdisciplinary team member collaboration to common goals.
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
• Organized and accountable– meticulous and detail-oriented; consistently meets timelines and objectives.